2008-06-22

My path to becoming an otaku

First of all, I want to point in the direction of Sandbar's path to otakudom

When reading this blog I thought it'd be fun to share my own path to where I am today.
I was born in a small village called Moholm in the middle of Sweden.
In my earliest days I slept alot... and in wierd places (for example in a shoe shelf, behind the TV, under my bed).
I was quite a normal kid (well except being an allergic but whatever), played soccer and so on.
Then I moved to Skara (at the age of 6), and started to get bullied in pre-school.
As soon as I learned how to read, I was hooked... I read ALOT.
We also got a SNES during this time, which was a common way for me to pass time.
after a while we moved to Gothenburg, where I continued to get bullied through elementary school.
Here I got into Fantasy litterature by reading "Bilbo" at the age of 9.
By this time I started to get quite introverted due to the bullying, meaning I spent ALOT of time reading fantasy books.
By the age of 13 I was getting deeper into Gaming and started to hear about "roleplaying games"
When I was 15 I had read over 200 fantasy books, and became a member of a fantasy community, where I learned even more about roleplaying games..
I also went to my first convention, a gaming convention where I also played my first roleplaying game :D
This is also where I changed school to a private school, and thereby also ending my time of being bullied ^_^
In my new class I befriended some people who played Magic the Gathering, who also introduced me to Manga and Anime...
though by this time I didn't have ADSL, so I was quite limited to manga wich was easily accessed via the local library (which basically meant Ranma½, Inu-Yasha, Fushigi Yuugi, Appleseed and NGE) ^_^
at the age of 16 I went to my first anime convention, which was a whole new world of awesome... I also got ADSL during this time, which meant I started to watch more anime.
This is also when I stared to watch more "heavy" anime (such as "welcome to the NHK" "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" and "Great Teacher Onizuka") due to recommendations from more experienced otakus and got more of an interest for Japanese culture and society.
I also played my first eroge around this time "Sagara Family" by ZYX (quite good company)
About the same time as I turned 18 I joined my anime club.
Later I found Anime-Planet, and from there I've been learning more and more, joined ISSUP (the International Society for the Studies of Ummm... Pervertedness)
and even later started this blog ^_^
...And thats where I am today

2 comments:

Sandbar said...

Wow, that's a fascinating path you've taken Jensling, dude! Oh, and thanks for mentioning my blog. hehe, and I'm glad you like it.

I was sorry to hear about the bullying at school, because I was bullied at school alot too, so I am kind of empathetic to anyone who has been in that situation. Destroys one's self-esteem, huh? :-( It's only just now (in Australia, anyway) where it's being taken seriously and regarded as a serious issue.

I love Magic the Gathering. I've never been to a roleplaying gamer's group before, nor an anime convention, so it's intriguing to me speaking and learning from the people who have.

Thanks for your blog entry, Jensling - very informative read.
Cheers, dude!

rektor5 said...

a fun story ^^ very fun to read :D